I’ve been freelance editing since 2012, taking on several longer term project positions.
Contributor Network Editor (2014–2018)
I served as a contract editor for the IDG Contributor Network, part of IDG Communications, a set of enterprise IT trade magazines and websites. The ICN spanned the publications of CIO.com, Computerworld, CSOonline.com, Network World, and InfoWorld.
Content Manager (2012–2016)
From 2012–2016, I was co-founder, advisory editor, and content manager for Strangelet Press, which published Strangelet, a journal of speculative fiction, poetry, artwork, and graphic stories. I worked on developing and managing the website (built in WordPress); I also managed the Facebook and Twitter accounts as well as other social media and I helped write the emailed newsletters. And I read submissions, copy-edited accepted works, and proofread issues before publication. The magazine is on an indefinite hiatus.
You can still check out the website at strangeletjournal.com
Production and Copy Editor (2014–2015)
Benesse brought me on as a freelance production and copy editor. I edited ELA Grades 3–8 test items/passages, inputting, proofing, and publishing these to Benesse’s digital platform. I correlated test items to state standards. I also responded to and fixed problem reports—I read and responded to teachers’ problem reports made about old content that had not been redeveloped yet. Every day, I decided whether the dozen new reports were content fixes I could make on the spot, or technical issues we needed to request fixed.
Editorial Support Specialist (2008–2010)
I started my career at Riverside Publishing, a subsidiary of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. I copy-edited, proofread, and provided editorial support for the Iowa Tests of Basic Skills. One of the longer projects involved supporting the editors in building a new set of test directions. I managed the workflow of the Cognitive Abilities Test’s direction booklets through the content management system and Adobe InCopy/InDesign, making sure the manuscripts and proofs went between development, editorial, comp, and the authors, and I saw the booklets to final publication.
- Fact checking, copy editing, and proofreading
- Style guides: Chicago Manual of Style; AP Style
- Editing for search engine optimization (SEO) and writing headlines for A/B testing
- Experience performing content audits
- Experience developing content strategy in cross-functional teams
- Adobe Creative Suite (Acrobat, InDesign, InCopy, Dreamweaver, Photoshop)
- Online analytics platforms (Google Analytics, Google AdWords, Adobe Omniture, Parse.ly)
- Familiarity with metadata standards (Extensible Metadata Platform (XMP) for image files; Dublin Core for ebooks (i.e., EPUB, Kindle)
- Experience with content management systems (e.g., WordPress, Drupal, Apollo)
Request a detailed resume via email at dost (dot) andrew (at) gmail (dot) com.