I’ve been freelance writing and editing since 2012, with several longer term projects.
IDG Communications (2014–2018)
I served as a contract editor for the IDG Contributor Network (ICN), part of IDG Communications, a set of enterprise IT trade magazines and websites. The ICN spanned the publications of CIO.com, Computerworld, CSOonline.com, Network World, and InfoWorld.
Strangelet Press (2012–2016)
From 2012–2016, I was co-founder, advisory editor, and content manager for Strangelet Press, which published Strangelet, a journal of speculative fiction, poetry, artwork, and graphic stories. I worked on developing and managing the website (built in WordPress); I also managed the Facebook and Twitter accounts as well as other social media and I helped write the emailed newsletters. And I read submissions, copy-edited accepted works, and proofread issues before publication. The magazine is on an indefinite hiatus.
You can still check out the website at strangeletjournal.com
Benesse America (2014–2015)
Benesse brought me on as a freelance production and copy editor. I edited ELA Grades 3–8 test items/passages, inputting, proofing, and publishing these to Benesse’s digital platform. I correlated test items to state standards. I also responded to and fixed problem reports—I read and responded to teachers’ problem reports made about old content that had not been redeveloped yet. Every day, I decided whether the dozen new reports were content fixes I could make on the spot, or technical issues we needed to request fixed.
Riverside Publishing (2008–2010)
I started my career at Riverside Publishing, a subsidiary of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. I copy-edited, proofread, and provided editorial support for the Iowa Tests of Basic Skills. One of the longer projects involved supporting the editors in building a new set of test directions.
I managed the workflow of the Cognitive Abilities Test’s direction booklets through the content management system and Adobe InCopy/InDesign, making sure the manuscripts and proofs went between development, editorial, comp, and the authors, and I saw the booklets to final publication.
- Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Adobe Creative Suite (Acrobat, InDesign, InCopy, Dreamweaver, Photoshop)
- Analytics platforms (Google Analytics 360 and AdWords, Adobe Omniture, Parse.ly)
- Content management systems (WordPress, Drupal, Apollo, SDL Tridion)
Other important skills:
- Copy editing, fact-checking, and proofreading (Chicago Manual of Style, AP Style);
- Writing and editing for search engine optimization;
- Experience performing content audits and developing content strategy;
- Experience testing for and helping implement best UI/UX practices;
- Metadata standards: Dublin Core, XMP
- Coding HTML, CSS
- Familiar with programming XML, PHP
Request a detailed resume via email at dost (dot) andrew (at) gmail (dot) com.